The Society is based at the United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG). It was set up in 1949 under the United Nations Staff Rules. The Society is administered by an Executive Committee comprising members appointed by the Director-General of UNOG and the Staff Coordinating Council.
The Society reimburses serving and retired staff members of UNOG and international organizations with which UNOG has concluded an agreement (ITC, HCR, UNICEF, WMO in Geneva, UNV,UNFCCC, UNCCD in Bonn and UNSSC in Turin), subject to the Statutes and Internal rules in force, for the costs of medical care in the event of sickness, accident or childbirth.
: +41 (0)22 917 31 39
: +41 (0)22 917 31 35
: +41 (0)22 917 20 19
: +41 (0)22 917 02 98
Palais des Nations
8-14, avenue de la Paix
1211 Geneva 10
In the event of sickness, accident or maternity, the Society refunds medical expenses at the rates specified in its Internal rules. Members of the Society are personally liable for payment of the medical expenses for which they may claim reimbursement. The Society does not settle bills directly with members' creditors.
Expenses incurred in respect of any of the acts listed in the Internal rules, unless otherwise stated, shall be reimbursed at a rate of 80 per cent. For certain medical benefits the prior authorization of the Society must be requested in writing to the Medical Advisor. Such authorizations are only valid for a period of six months running from the date on which they are granted.
In the event of hospitalization, the Society will, upon request, issue insurance certificates or guarantees. Reimbursement is normally limited to 30 days' hospitalization per case. Prolongation of hospitalization beyond this time-limit is subject to the approval of the Society's Medical Adviser.
All claims must be made within twelve months of the date on which the relevant bill or account is established. Only staff members may make claims. Reimbursement is effected by the Financial Resources Management Service of the United Nations Office at Geneva. Expenditure incurred in currencies other than Swiss francs will be reimbursed in Swiss francs at the official United Nations exchange-rate applicable on the date of processing the invoice.
- Doctors' fees
- Medical Imagery, laboratory analysis and tests
- Out-patient medical fees in a medical establishment
- Surgical operations (with the exception of aesthetic surgery)
- Hospitalization in public ward or semi-private room in an establishment approved by the competent health authorities of the country concerned. The supplement for a private room is not reimbursable. Prior authorization is required over 30 days
- Post-hospital and/or post-operation convalescence
- Long-term hospitalization is limited to 365 days
- Medical or paramedical benefits related to a long-stay in a medical establishment or medicalized nursing-home are limited to a maximum daily allowance
- Benefits for care in the home are limited to a maximum daily allowance. Prior-authorization is required
- Functional rehabilitation for prescribed treatments with a maximum allowance per session and a limited number of sessions per calendar year
- Pharmaceuticals products reimbursable according to the criteria of the competent health authorities of the country concerned
- Preventive medecine
- Odonto-stomatological treatment (dental treatment) limited to a maximum annual allowance