17 November 2016
Book Launch: "The Case for Humanity: An Extraordinary Session"
Thursday, 17 November 2016, 12:30 - 14:00
UNOG Library Events Room B-135
Palais des Nations, Geneva
For an inspired meeting at the United Nations, over one hundred of the greatest leaders, artists, and philosophers who have walked the earth, gather at the Security Council in New York City. They have travelled across space and time to help us resolve seemingly insurmountable challenges, set new standards for 21st century leadership, and chart the way forward. Do we choose the will to power or the will to humanity, or, perhaps, a new configuration of both? But how do we make the connection? Combining passionate prose and global UN experience, in this book Yasmine Sherif makes the case for humanity.
"The Case for Humanity: An Extraordinary Session" was first launched at the UN New York in 2015, and has since become a best-seller at the UN Bookshop in NY.
- Michael Møller, UNOG Director-General
- Yasmine Sherif, Human rights lawyer, Vice President of the Global Center for Justice & Humanity and UN veteran with over 25 years of experience in international affairs
- José Ramos-Horta, Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, Chair of the High-Level Independent Panel on Peace Operations, former UN Special Representative to Guinea Bissau, and former President of Timor-Leste
- Dr. John Pace, former Director for Human Rights of UNAMI and former Secretary to the UN Commission on Human Rights (1978-1994)
- Dr. Alfred de Zayas, Human Rights Rapporteur, UN Independent Expert on the Promotion of a Democratic and Equitable International Order
- Francesco Pisano, Chief, UNOG Library
For those without a UNOG badge, registration for this event is obligatory.
Interested participants are invited to register on-line before 17 November 2016.