The 2013 Meeting of States Parties was held in the Palais des Nations from 9 to 13 December 2013. The meeting opened at 10:00 on Monday 9 December in Room XVIII and closed on Friday 13 December.
The Meeting of States Parties was chaired by Ms. Judit Körömi of Hungary. In accordance with the decision of the Seventh Review Conference, the meeting considered the work of the Meeting of Experts (12-16 August 2013) on the the three standing agenda items (cooperation and assistance, with a particular focus on strengthening cooperation and assistance under Article X; review of developments in the field of science and technology related to the Convention; and strengthening national implementation), as well as the biennial item of how to enable fuller participation in the Confidence-building Measures (CBMs).
Report of the Meeting of States Parties
Advance version of documents
Communications from the Chairman
Statements & Presentations
Monday 9 December
13.00-15.00 Developments in science and technology (Room XXIV)
- University of Bath, Biochemical Security 2030 Project: Examining S&T responsiveness in the context of the BWC and CWC, report on current work
- OPCW Technical Secretariat on Chemical Weapons Disarmament in a Technologically Evolving World
- Croatian Academy of Science, US National Academies, Royal Society, International Union of Microbiological Societies on Science needs for Microbial Forensics:Developing an International Science Roadmap
- Gerald Walther, University of Bradford on The 2013 BioWeapons Monitor:Launch and Plans for the Future
- Dr Dana Perkins, UN 1540 Committee Expert, on UN Security Council Resolution 1540: Emerging Trends, Sharing of Experiences, Lessons Learned and Effective Practices?
Tuesday 10 December
09.00-10.00 Education and outreach (Room XXIV)
- Jo Husbands, US National Academies and OPCW Scientific Advisory Board temporary working group on education and outreach, providing an update of relevant activities
- Brian Rappert, University of Exeter, launching a new book
- Tatyana Novossiolova, LNCV, on ethics education for neuroscientists
- Polish Academy of Sciences and IAP: Global Network of Science Academies, on the results of 6 December discussions to update the 2009 workshop.
13.00-15.00 EU NRBC Action Plan: How the exchange of good practices can improve the surveillance of high risk pathogens – France (Room XXIV)
Wednesday 11 December
09.00-10.00 The Biosecurity Sub-working Group of the Global Partnership against the spread of materials and weapons of mass destruction – United Kingdom (Room XXIV)
13:00-15.00 Improving Biosecurity - Assessment of Dual Use Research - Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (Room XXV).
13.00-15.00 United Nations Secretary-General's mechanism for investigation of alleged use of biological weapons – Denmark, France and Germany (Room XXIV)
Thursday 12 December
09.00-10.00 Monitoring compliance relevant data - Launch of the Hamburg Research Group's trade monitoring website – Research Group for Biological Arms Control (Room XXIV)