This project, part of EU Council Decision (CFSP) 2016/51, enhanced the interaction between the BWC process and non-governmental stakeholders, such as the scientific community and industry, through the organisation of regional workshops on scientific and technological issues and on biosafety and biosecurity. The project directly engaged scientists and biosafety professionals in developing countries in order to raise awareness of the BWC, to develop capacities for more effective implementation of the BWC and to facilitate international cooperation for peaceful purposes.
The results of this project included:
- Increased awareness among the scientific community about the BWC and related issues, and increased involvement of the scientific community and national and regional scientific, professional and industrial associations in BWC implementation;
- A broader and deeper understanding of the relevance of scientific and technological issues to the implementation of the BWC among national policymakers and officials;
- Constructive input into the consideration of the standing agenda item on science and technology at BWC meetings, as well as input to the Eighth Review Conference on ways in which to strengthen reviews of scientific and technological developments relevant to the BWC;
- Increased interaction between the scientific community, academia, research organisations, professional associations, industry and regulatory agencies and policymakers at a national and regional level, and enhanced input into reviews of scientific and technological developments relevant to the BWC;
- Promotion of linkages with other multilateral and regional initiatives in the area of science and technology; and
- Increased international cooperation on scientific and technological issues that could support capacity building in developing countries in areas of relevance to the BWC, particularly Articles VII and X, such as detection, diagnosis and prevention of disease outbreaks, vaccines, therapeutics, analytical methods, preparedness and response.