The United Nations Information Service in Geneva is the voice of the United Nations Office at Geneva which informs the world about Geneva's unique role in international relations. It is also the United Nations Information Centre for Switzerland.
The Information Service provides a comprehensive range of public information services focusing primarily, though not exclusively, on Geneva-based United Nations activities in the field of peace, security, disarmament, development and economic and social issues. The Service bears a special responsibility for fostering awareness of the UN's human rights programme due to the growing importance of this mandate; the location in Geneva of the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights and the increasing public interest in the annual meeting of the Human Rights Council. UNIS also highlights relief assistance, Geneva being the world capital of humanitarian activity.
The Information Service conveys the official position of the United Nations on matters in the news through its briefings, official statements, interviews and background briefings. It provides both breaking news and in-depth material to international print and audiovisual media and extends the following services :
· Press credentials to print and audiovisual media on a resident and temporary basis;
· Press conferences and bi-weekly press briefings, chaired by its Director (who also serves as Spokesperson for the United Nations Office at Geneva and attended by spokespersons from UN agencies and programmes based in Geneva;
· Press releases in English and French summarizing UN meetings taking place in Geneva;
· UN television news coverage of events in Geneva, distributed through the European Broadcasting Union and the main international television news agencies;
· Audio material covering briefings, press conferences and other activities
· Limited numbers of photographs (available on request)
Procedures for scheduling press conferences can be found here.
In addition, the Information Service holds a Graduate Study Programme every year and organizes Information seminars. It is also responsible for Guided Tours of the UN's European Headquarters, the Palais des Nations.