Upcoming Business Opportunities
Analysis Study on sustainable transport policies
16 August 2012
In view of the fact that the official language used for the RFP will be English, this request for expression of interest is published in English only.
Du fait que la langue officielle de cette sollicitation sera l'anglais, cette demande d'expression d'intérêt est publiée uniquement en anglais.
Please note that only those firms considered qualified by the United Nations Office at Geneva for this project will be invited to participate.
Terms of Reference
1. The United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG) seeks Expressions of Interest (EOI) for a solicitation it intends to issue for the required services or goods described below.
2. Vendors interested in fulfilling the above requirements must be registered with UNOG and may wish to visit "UNOG Vendor Registration Process" for full registration information in order to be eligible to participate in any solicitation.
3. Required services or goods are the following:
The main objective of the project is to enhance international cooperation and planning towards sustainable transport policies through the development and use of a monitoring and assessment tool for CO2 emissions in inland transport. Since the tool shall aim at paving the way For the Future Inland Transport System, it was named ForFITS.
The UNECE Transport Division performed a review of the existing relevant statistics, policy instruments and modelling methodologies, as well as theoretical foundations for the methodology to be used in the ForFITS model development. This work was strengthened by a review carried out by international experts and led to the organization of an International Expert Meeting. Held in April 2012, this meeting was aimed to disseminate information and documentations on the review work and the methodological proposal, to receive feedback on the draft documentation, and to share experiences and explore possible synergies with interested stakeholders.
Building on the results of the work already carried out by the UNECE secretariat and its conclusions, the consultant will be engaged in:
a) The development of instruments allowing the estimation of passenger transport demand (transport activity, vehicle loads, and number of vehicles), in different conditions (distinguishing amongst road, rail, water and air modes, further distinguishing between urban and non-urban areas and considering separately, for road modes, public transport and transport, such as buses and paratransit, and transport taking place on private vehicles, such as cars and two wheelers).
b) The development of instruments allowing the estimation of freight transport demand, (transport activity, vehicle loads, and number of vehicles), as well as its modal allocation, distinguishing amongst road, rail, water and air modes, and further distinguishing, for road modes, between heavy duty freight transport and transport taking place on light commercial vehicles and two- or three- wheelers).
4. Specific information (if any) (e.g.: pre-evaluation or pre-requisite criteria, certification, etc.):
a. The contractor must have demonstrated experience and capacity in conducting international research projects (such as those financed by the European Commission under the Seventh Framework Programme) related to transport and energy.
b. The possibility to access international transport, energy and environmental statistics, the knowledge of relevant and up-to-date scientific literature, and the capacity to use this information in analytical reports are firm requirements.
c. Prior experience in transport demand modelling on the basis of socio-economic inputs, as well as the capacity to operate relevant modules of international transport demand models (available to the contractor) are needed.
d. Awareness of the ForFITS project and the UNECE activities on greenhouse gas emission mitigation in transport are strongly desirable.
e. Please provide documents to substantiate the required knowledge and experience in 4.a, 4.b, 4.c and 4.d.
f. The contractor shall meet the registration requirement as stipulated in point 2 above.
5. Please submit your response by returning the form "Expression of Interest Response Form" duly filled in by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by facsimile to +41(0)22 917 00 13. Responses must be received no later than 12:00 hours, Geneva time, on 23/08/2012. All responses will be kept strictly confidential.
6. Please note that this REOI does not constitute a solicitation. UNOG reserves the right to change or cancel this requirement at any time during the REOI process or the solicitation process. Please note that only those vendors considered as qualified by UNOG to provide the required services or goods will be invited to participate.
7. Tentative bid issuance date: 23/08/12
8. Mandatory site visit date (if any) :
9. Tentative bid response date: 31/08/12
10. Tentative contract award date: 10/09/12
11. For system contracts, estimated annual volume: