Upcoming Business Opportunities
Request for Information: Live Captioning
23 July 2012
In view of the fact that the official language used for the RFP will be English, this request for expression of interest is published in English only.
Du fait que la langue officielle de cette sollicitation sera l'anglais, cette demande d'expression d'intérêt est publiée uniquement en anglais.
Please note that only those firms considered qualified by the United Nations Office at Geneva for this project will be invited to participate.
Terms of Reference
1. The United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG) seeks Expressions of Interest (EOI) for a solicitation it intends to issue for the required services or goods described below.
2. Vendors interested in fulfilling the above requirements must be registered with UNOG and may wish to visit "UNOG Vendor Registration Process" for full registration information in order to be eligible to participate in any solicitation.
3. Required services or goods are the following:
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) in Geneva services the international human rights mechanisms, including the expert bodies established to monitor the implementation of the international human rights treaties (the “treaty bodies”). There are at present ten treaty bodies in operation, one of which is the Committee on the Right of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD), monitoring the implementation of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. The Convention adopts a broad categorization of persons with disabilities and reaffirms their human rights and fundamental freedoms.
The members of the Committee serve in their individual capacity. They are elected by States Parties for a four-year term, with a possibility of one re-election.
The main functions of the Committee are to examine reports that States Parties must submit regularly on how they implement the rights enshrined in the Convention, making suggestions and general recommendations to that end to the State Party concerned, and considering individual complaints about alleged violations of the rights provided for in the Convention. The Committee normally meets in Geneva and holds two sessions per year, each of one week’s duration.
The Committee, at its first session in February 2009, requested the Secretariat to take measures to ensure that all persons with disabilities have full access to its meetings and those of all the human rights mechanisms. Drawing attention to article 9 of the Convention, the Committee requested the Secretariat to ensure that all aspects of accessibility are taken into consideration. In response to this request, the United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG) seeks to establish long-term arrangements to henceforth provide captioning of all future sessions of the Committee.
To provide captioning services for the two biannual sessions of the Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, which according to the allotted meeting time amount to a total of 3 weeks (or fifteen working days) per year.
Should the annual frequency of meetings of the Committee subject to changes, as per General Assembly resolutions, the above-mentioned duration of service could require a revision.
Captioning refers to a service whereby the verbal proceedings of a meeting are typed in real-time on a large screen in the conference room. It is also requested that the electronic version of the transcripts be shared with OHCHR at every pause, which would be shared with members of the Committee and audience who so request them.
4. Specific information (if any) (e.g.: pre-evaluation or pre-requisite criteria, certification, etc.):
o Transcriber should produce live caption in English in real time, as well as any of the 5 other official languages of the United Nations upon request: French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese and Russian.
o Transcriber should have sufficient international experience to be able to understand English spoken by non native speakers with various accents.
o The meetings will normally take place on weekdays, 10:00 – 13:00 and 15:00 – 18:00, Geneva time. Captioning will be available only during official meeting hours.
5. Please submit your response by returning the form "Expression of Interest Response Form" duly filled in by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by facsimile to +41(0)22 917 00 13. Responses must be received no later than 12:00 hours, Geneva time, on 03.08.2012. All responses will be kept strictly confidential.
6. Please note that this REOI does not constitute a solicitation. UNOG reserves the right to change or cancel this requirement at any time during the REOI process or the solicitation process. Please note that only those vendors considered as qualified by UNOG to provide the required services or goods will be invited to participate.
7. Tentative bid issuance date:
8. Mandatory site visit date (if any) :
9. Tentative bid response date:
10. Tentative contract award date:
11. For system contracts, estimated annual volume: