21 September 2015
Special Event on the International Day of Peace: Women’s Strategies for Peace for Future Generations
On 21 September, we celebrate the International Day of Peace. No date is better suited for an engaging talk about the challenges we currently face while we work towards peace, rights and well-being.
Monday 21 September 2015, 12:30 - 14:00
(Refreshments served after the event)
UNOG Library Events Room (B-135 , 1st Floor)
Palais des Nations, Genève
For the first time in Geneva, four founding members of the “Rising Women Rising World” global initiative will share their views on the future and the important role women have in promoting peace.
Our eminent speakers will guide us through the following themes:
“The Arms Trade and Awakened Leadership for Global Security”
“Reimagining Political Leadership for Troubled Times”
“Securing Environmental and Food Security for Future Generations”.
Rama Mani will offer a special performance on “Women’s Voices and Visions for a Peaceful Future”.
Organized in collaboration with the Permanent Mission of Ecuador to the United Nations in Geneva, the World Future Council and the Inter-Parliamentary Union.
- Michael Møller, Director-General, UNOG
- María Fernanda Espinosa Garcés, Ambassador and Permanent Representative of Ecuador to the United Nations Office and other international organizations in Geneva
About the speakers
- Scilla Elworthy, Founder of Oxford Research Group and of Peace Direct, thrice Nobel Peace Prize nominee
- Zahira Kamal, The first ever Minister of Women’s Affairs of Palestine; General Secretary of the Palestinian Democratic Union Party; one of three Palestinian women peace negotiators in Oslo
- Thais Corral, Co-Founder of Women’s Environment and Development Organization, and Co-Chair of the Global Leadership Network
- Rama Mani, Senior Advisor, Right Livelihood Award Foundation; Senior Researcher, University of Oxford’s Centre for International Studies; Peter Becker Peace Prize laureate
- Anda Filip, Inter-Parliamentary Union Director for Member Parliaments & External Relations, Former Ambassador of Romania to the United Nations Office at Geneva
For those without a UNOG badge, registration for this event is obligatory.
Interested participants are invited to register on-line before 20 September 2015.