BWC Action - Guidance Brochure for BWC National Implementation
The Seventh Review Conference of the BWC decided that strengthening of national implementation will be a Standing Agenda Item during the 2012-2015 intersessional programme. The topics to be addressed include specific measures for full and comprehensive implementation of the BWC, especially Articles III and IV, and ways and means to enhance national implementation and sharing best practices and experiences.
Based on experiences gained through the preceding EU Joint Action and as a continuation of initiated activities, a comprehensive documentation (guidance brochure) will be prepared providing:
- An overview of the obligations of the States Parties of the BWC;
- A coverage of national measures for full and comprehensive implementation of the BWC;
- A toolkit of implementation measures and examples of best practices.
Experts from BWC States Parties, relevant international organisations and the non-governmental sector concerned with BWC implementation will be consulted in the process of developing the guidance brochure.
The guidance brochure will be reproduced in all official languages of the UN.
The guidance brochure will be modular in its structure, to facilitate revisions, and comprise:
- Module I - Ratification/Accession
- Module II - Getting organised at the national level
- Module III - Legislation, regulations and guidelines
- Module IV - Implementation and enforcement
- Module V - Confidence-Building Measures (CBMs)
- Module VI - Part a: Complementary measures: outreach, Codes of Conduct
An electronic platform has been set up for publicizing a draft document, expected to be available in August 2014. Experts of States Parties and relevant international organisations and the non-governmental sector interested in participating in the process can provide their views and request access to the electronic platform by contacting:
Ms. Karin Hjalmarsson Tel.: +41 (0)22 917 3676, Fax: +41 (0)22 917 0483
BWC Action Implementation Group E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org