Following requests from States Parties and other stakeholders, the Implementation Support Unit undertook to find space on its website to provide a portal to interesting bits and pieces that might help with preparations for the review conference in 2011.
This page is the first iteration of the ISU's efforts to help support these preparations. Below you will find links to articles, press releases, papers and other resources that either caught the ISU's eye or have been brought to their attention by others. Plans are also under development to add additional online collaboration tools to the think zone.
If you have come across something that you think should be on this page, but is not at the moment, please email the document or a link directly to the ISU
Biosecurity & Biosafety
Science and Technology
Disease & Health Surveillance
BWC in the News
The Nonproliferation Review – Special Issue: Global Perspectives on Re-envisioning the Biological Weapons Convention
- Barry Kellman, Barry Kellman Speech to the the Biological Weapons Convention PrepCon, International Security and Biopolicy Institute, 12 April 2011
(The special issue is the product of a joint project of the European Union Institute for Security Studies and the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies.
The James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies at the Monterey Institute of International Studies in Collaboration of Taylor and Francis, the publisher of the journal, have made the contents of this special issue available for those involved with the review conference FREE OF COST).
- Jean Pascal Zanders and Amy E. Smithson, Ensuring the Future of the Biological Weapons Convention, Vol. 18 Issue 3, 2011, 479-487
- Cindy Vestergaard and Animesh Roul, A (F)utile Intersessional Process? Strengthening the BWC by Defining Its Scope, Vol. 18 Issue 3, 2011, 489-497
- Nicholas A. Sims and Jez Littlewood, Ambitious Incrementalism: Enhancing BWC Implementation in the Absence of a Verification Protocol, Vol. 18 Issue 3, 2011, 499-511
- Iris Hunger and Shen Dingli, Improving Transparency: Revisiting and Revising the BWC's Confidence-Building Measures, Vol. 18 Issue 3, 2011, 513-526
- Caitríona McLeish and Ralf Trapp, The Life Sciences Revolution and the BWC: Reconsidering the Science and Technology Review Process in a Post-Proliferation World, Vol. 18 Issue 3, 2011, 527-543
- Philippe Stroot and Ursula Jenal, A New Approach: Contributing to BWC Compliance via Biosafety, Biosecurity, and Biorisk Management, Vol. 18 Issue 3, 2011, 545-555
- Roger Roffey and Chandré Gould, Preventing Misuse of the Life Sciences: The Need to Improve Biodefense Transparency and Accountability in the BWC, Vol. 18 Issue 3, 2011, 557-569
- Filippa Lentzos, Hard to Prove: The Verification Quandary of the Biological Weapons Convention, Vol. 18 Issue 3, 2011, 571-582
Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists BWC Special Edition
Disarmament Forum BWC Special Edition
University of Bradford Review Conference Papers: Strengthening the BWC
- Jean Pascal Zanders and Amy E. Smithson, Creating a More Robust BWC Regime: A Time for Action, Vol. 18 Issue 3, 2011, 583-590
Harvard Sussex Program: Reports from Geneva
University of Bradford Briefing Book - Key Points for the Seventh Review Conference
- Ambassador Paul van den IJssel, Foreword
The Biological and Toxin Weapons Convention
Part II: Final Declaration and
Part III: Decisions and Recommendations of the Final Document of the Sixth Review Conference, 2006 Final Document BWC/CONF.VI/6