UPEACE/BWC ISU/UNIDIR Workshop
From 8-9 November 2011, the University of Peace, the ISU and the United Nations Institute for Disarmament Research held a two-day executive format workshop on the Seventh Review Conference of the BWC. Each day a two hour working session provided briefings by experts followed by time for in-depth discussions.
The objective of the workshop was to increase the level of knowledge about the procedures and goals of the review conference as well as about the overall BWC process. This, it was hoped, would help participants prepare to bring about a positive outcome at the review conference.
Working sessions provided practical background information on the overall BWC process, the results of the previous review conference and recent intercessional work, and how they might impact on the 2011 review conference. The workshop also covered the review conference process – how it is organized, its preparatory conference, and the procedures used to manage its work.
Tuesday, November 8
Introductory Remarks (16.00-16.20):
- Dr. John King, Workshop Moderator, UN-mandated University for Peace
- Amb. Paul van den IJssel, President-designate, 7th BWC Review Conference
- Ms. Teresa Hitchens, Director, UNIDIR
Outcome of 6th Review Conference and its Final Document (16.20-17.00):
Outcome of the 2007-2010 Intersessional Process (17.00-18.00):
Wednesday, November 9
- Presentation – Dr. Filippa Lentzos, London School of Economics
7th Review Conference Rules of Procedure, Organization and Structure (16.00-16.45):
Prospective post Review Conference agenda and work plan for the next five years (16.45-18.00):
- Presentation – Amb. Desra Pecaya, Indonesia (remarks delivered by Ms. Etika Yustisianingrum, Indonesia)