This page contains NGO statements and other resources from past meetings of the Biological Weapons Convention, in reverse chronological order. All meetings were held in Geneva.
For NGO Statements since 2006, see the pages for the individual meetings.
Sixth Review Conference (20 November - 8 December 2006)
Meeting of States Parties in 2005 (5 – 9 December 2005)
The 2005 Meeting of States Parties was chaired by Ambassador John Freeman of the United Kingdom. It met to discuss, and promote common understanding and effective action on codes of conduct for scientists. It was well attended by 87 States Parties, 7 Signatory States, 2 Observer States, 4 international organizations and 18 non-governmental organizations.
Meeting of Experts in 2005 (13 – 24 June 2005)
Meeting of States Parties in 2004 (6 – 10 December 2004)
Meeting of Experts in 2004 (19 – 30 July 2004)
- University of Bradford, UK
- International Network of Scienstists and Engineers for Global Resposibility, Germany (INES)
- Scientists Working Group on Biological and Chemical Weapons, USA
- Verification Research, Training and Information Centre, UK (VERTIC)
- London School of Economics and Political Science, UK (LSE)
- University of Exeter, UK
- BioWeapons Prevention Project, Switzerland (BWPP)
- Stockholm International Peace Research Istitute, Sweden (SIPRI)
- Univeristy of Hamburg, Germany
- Pugwash, Switzerland
- Society for the Study of Peace and Conflict, India
- Pax Christi International, Belgium
- Tri-Valley CAREs, USA
The 2004 Meeting of Experts was chaired by Peter Goosen of South Africa. It met to discuss, and promote common understanding and effective action on mechanisms for the surveillance, detection, diagnosis and combating of infectious diseases affecting humans, animals, and plants, as well as capabilities for responding to, investigating and mitigating the effects of cases of alleged use of biological or toxin weapons or suspicious outbreaks of disease. It was well attended by 87 States Parties, 4 Signatory States, 2 Observer States, 4 international organizations and 11 non-governmental organizations.
Meeting of States Parties in 2003 (10 – 14 November 2003)
Meeting of Experts in 2003 (18-29 August 2003)
Fifth Review Conference (19 November – 7 December 2001 And 11 – 22 November 2002)
Fifth Review Conference Preparatory Committee (25 – 27 April 2001)