UNOG Open Day 2012
Saturday 15 September 2012 - 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Palais des Nations and Ariana Park
Some 9,000 visitors flocked to the Palais des Nations under bright blue skies for an Open Day organized by the United Nations Office at Geneva on 15 September 2012 to mark the tenth anniversary of Switzerland’s accession to the United Nations.
Brazilian drums gave a decisively festive beat in the Assembly Hall and children ran in solemn hallways more accustomed to quiet conversations among men in dark suits, while curious visitors learned about solar power and refugee registration in the Ariana Park. When the doors opened at 11 a.m. in the morning, hundreds of families from Geneva or surrounding areas as well as tourists passing through the city were already queuing on the Place des Nations to enter the ground of the United Nations.
The programme focused on democracy (15 September being the International Day of Democracy) and sustainable energy (2012 is the International Year of Sustainable Energy for all). Visitors could participate in dozens of activities, including concerts, dances and other cultural performances organized with the help of member states, film screenings, debates on democracy, exhibitions, quizzes and sports as well as many games for young children.
Over 100 United Nations staff, easily identifiable thanks to their white and blue t-shirts, volunteered their time to make the Day a success, and visitors unanimously praised their helpfulness and courtesy.
Pictures and interviews with enthusiastic visitors are available on the Facebook page created for the event: Open Day Facebook
See below the programme for the day.
Cultural activities, dance, music, story-telling, films and ceremonies
10th anniversary of Switzerland's membership in the UN
International Day of Democracy
Sustainable Energy for All
2012 is the International Year of Sustainable Energy for All. During the Open Day, you will be able to:
- Discover a pioneering solar panel developed by the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN), which will soon be installed at Geneva Airport, as well as a fountain powered by solar energy, also developed by CERN.
- Participate in the inauguration of the solar power supply station for electric vehicles at the United Nations Office at Geneva.
- See electric cars or with solar photovoltaic roofs, ride an electric bicycle – activities organized by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and its partners.
Stands and demonstrations
Exhibitions and Guided Tours
For the younger ones
Painting, make-up, story-telling, reading corner, TV corner, gymnastics, puppet theatre, quiz, video games, Arabic calligraphy
and other fun and educational activities will be offered throughout the day, within the Palais des Nations and in the Ariana Park.
... and more ....
- Sports activities, organized by the UNOG Staff sports clubs
- Guided tours of conference rooms, by UNOG
- Presentation of beehives, organized by the “Société genevoise d’apiculture” and the Permanent Mission of Switzerland
- Souvenir pictures of the UN 2012 Open Day, organized by UNOG
Important Practical Information
- All are welcome. A valid identification document (passport, ID card or driving licence) will be necessary to enter the premises (one ID document per family or group); visitors aged up to 13 years do not need an ID but have to be accompanied.
- Pets are not permitted to enter, except for guide dogs.
- It is strongly recommended to use public transport to reach the Place des Nations. The Transports public genevois (TPG) are offering a free shuttle service from Cornavin train station to the Place des Nations (every 20 minutes between 10:40 and 16:40; last departure from the Place des Nations at 18:00) - see map
Click here to have a glimpse of the cultural events organized on the previous Open Day at the UN, which took place on 5 June 2010, on the occasion of the World Environment Day.
- Food and drinks will be available (hot and cold food, sandwiches and beverages).
For more information, please contact:
United Nations Information Service
Palais des Nations, CH-1211 Geneva 10
Tel.: +41 22 917 2336 - Fax: +41 22 917 0030
Join us on Facebook