Review of proposals
- A cultural activity is an activity promoting dialogue among civilizations as defined in General Assembly resolution A/RES/56/6 and confirmed by General Assembly resolution A/RES/60/4.
- Any proposal of a cultural activity shall be communicated to the Cultural Activities Committee through its Chairman or Coordinator at least three months before the proposed date of the cultural activity. The proposal shall be accompanied by a detailed description.
- The cultural activity must be compatible with the values, purposes and principles of the United Nations, in both content and presentation and shall not be of a profit generating or otherwise commercial nature.
- The theme(s) of the cultural activity must be international or universal in character and of relevance to the fields of activity of United Nations institutions. Proposals focusing on a specific individual, country or Non-Governmental Organization shall be authorized only if the subject has a direct relationship or relevance to the goals or activities of the United Nations, and is fully supported by it.
- The Cultural Activities Committee may, at its discretion, reject a proposal in part or in its entirety, or require the elimination or alteration of any part thereof, in particular if it considers the proposal apt to contravene the promotion of a dialogue among civilizations.
- Following the review of the Cultural Activities Committee, the Director-General shall inform the Requesting Entity of his decision.
Organization of a cultural activity
- The Coordinator for Cultural Activities shall coordinate the arrangements for the organization of a cultural activity in cooperation with the Conference Services Division, Division of Administration (particularly its Central Support Services, Financial Resources Management Service), Security and Safety Section and Information Service.
- The Coordinator for Cultural Activities, or in his absence the Chairman of the Cultural Activities Committee, shall be the Cultural Activities Committee’s focal point for the Requesting Entity and the services and sections of UNOG involved in the organization.
- The Committee, through its Chairman or Coordinator, shall decide upon the space to be allocated for a cultural activity and upon its date and duration, according to the availability of an appropriate venue and scheduling requirements. In case of scheduling conflicts, priority shall be given to proposals relating to commemorations or observances established by the General Assembly or other governing bodies of the United Nations system, and proposals linked to current meetings and conferences held at UNOG.
- The Committee, through its Chairman or Coordinator, shall be entitled to inspect the artworks and items delivered for a cultural activity and to amend or reject, in whole or in part, those items considered at variance with these guidelines.