Meeting of States Parties (9-13 December 2013)
The 2013 Meeting of States Parties was held in the Palais des Nations from 9 to 13 December 2013. The meeting opened at 10:00 on Monday 9 December in Room XVIII and closed on Friday 13 December.
The Meeting of States Parties was chaired by Ms. Judit Körömi of Hungary. In accordance with the decision of the Seventh Review Conference, the meeting considered the work of the Meeting of Experts (12-16 August 2013) on the three standing agenda items (cooperation and assistance, with a particular focus on strengthening cooperation and assistance under Article X; review of developments in the field of science and technology related to the Convention; and strengthening national implementation), as well as the biennial item of how to enable fuller participation in the Confidence-building Measures (CBMs).
Report of the Meeting of States Parties
Advance version of documents
- Strengthening Article VII: international cooperation and assistance in preparing for and responding to biological incidents - submitted by the United States
- Strengthening National Implementation - Submitted by the United States
- Getting Past Yes: Moving From Consensus Text to Effective Action - Submitted by Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Netherlands, the United Kingdom, and the United States
- Assistance and Cooperation (Art. X) - Submitted by the European Union
- Confidence-Building Measures: Taking discussions on enabling fuller participation forward to the Eighth Review Conference - Submitted by Switzerland
- Establishing a dedicated structure for the review of developments in biological science and technology - Submitted by Switzerland
- Step by Step Approach in CBMs participation - Submitted by Australia, Canada, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, and Switzerland
- International Cooperation and Assistance of Japan related to Article X of the Biological and Toxin Weapons Convention - Submitted by Japan
Communications from the Chairman
- On 28 October, the Chairman wrote to States Parties to inform them of preparations for the Meeting of States Parties (including on the agenda, programme of work, and details for registering), the synthesis paper, submission and updates of information, views on the work and outcome of the forthcoming meeting, and next steps. Annexed to the letter were a draft provisional programme of work and the synthesis paper.
- On 20 November, the Chairman wrote again to States Parties, outlining options for the preparation of the Report of the Meeting of States Parties.
Statements & Presentations