This page contains information on the mandate, structure and activities of the Amended Protocol II Group of Experts - an informal implementation mechanism established by the Tenth Annual Conference of the High Contracting Parties to Amended Protocol II (Geneva, 12 November 2008), as stipulated in paragraphs 23 and 24 of its Final Document, CCW/AP.II/CONF.10/2, as follows:
"[T]o establish an informal open-ended Group of Experts.
[...] The work of the Group of Experts shall be considered by the [...] Annual Conference. "
2014 Group of Experts
Palais des Nations, Geneva, 1 and 2 April
The Amended Protocol II Group of Experts will take place on 1 and 2 April 2014. Here is the letter on registration
for the Group of Experts
ivi Kairamo, Ambassador of Finland, is the Chairperson-designate of the Sixteenth Annual Conference. Here is the Letter by the President-designate on National annual reporting
, and the Letter on the preparations for the Group of Experts
The mandate of the Group of Experts was decided by the Fifteenth Annual Conference in 2013. The main focus of the 2014 Group of Experts are:
Operation and status of the Protocol
Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs)
- to review the operation and status of the Protocol and consider matters arising from the national annual reports, as well as the development of technologies to protect civilians against indiscriminate effects of mines.
- to analyze the implementation by the States parties of their obligation to submit national annual reports and shall study their content, focusing on the information submitted in Form D, "Legislation related to the Protocol."
- to consider the "Guide to reporting" of Form D in light of developments and progress achieved in the field of mine action since the adoption of the Protocol.
- to continue information exchange on IEDs, IED incidents, their prevention, including public awareness and/or risk education campaigns, and their humanitarian effects, in light of the significance of the CCW framework, its norms and implementation with respect to the IED threat.
- to continue, consistent with the scope of APII, developing best practices aimed at helping to address the threat of IEDs, including by:
while bearing in mind commercial confidentiality, national security requirements, the legitimate interests in trade of such materials; and taking into account existing and related work of international and regional organisations, including those referred to in the compilation; and
- exploring the possibility of an information exchange database, portal or platform as a tool for improving information sharing on the diversion and illicit use of material that can be used for IEDs and other means of reducing the threat of IEDs;
- examining ways to reduce the risk of military munitions stocks, explosive remnants of war, or commercial explosive stocks being used for IEDs;
- promoting international cooperation and assistance to help strengthen national capacities of High Contracting Parties, when requested, to address the IED threat;
- to continue discussions on victim assistance so that those providing assistance bear in mind the 2008 Plan of Action on Victim Assistance of Protocol V and the principles of age- and gender-sensitive medical care, rehabilitation, psychological support, and adequate assistance for social and economic inclusion in a non-discriminatory manner.
Mr. David Puzstai
of Hungary is Coordinator on the Operation and status of the Protocol; matters arising from reports by the High Contracting Parties according to Article 13 (4) of APII, as well as the development of technologies to protect civilians against indiscriminate effects of mines.
Ms. Namdi Payne
of Australia is Coordinator on Improvised Explosive Devices, who is assisted by Capt. (Navy) Erwan Roche
of France as Co-Coordinator.
To see the presentations that were delivered by the experts during the Group of Experts, which have been submitted to the Secretariat, please click below:
Operation and Status of Amended Protocol II
National annual report submissions 2006 - 2013
on "Implementation of the Protocol II by Ukraine" by Dr. Kateryna Bila, MFA
on "Jordan measures under APII" by Col. Ra'ed Safadi, Armed Forces
Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs)
Statements and presentations
PREVIOUS SESSIONS OF THE GROUP OF EXPERTS
2013 session of the Group of Experts
2012 session of the Group of Experts
2011 session of the Group of Experts
2010 session of the Group of Experts
2009 session of the Group of Experts
۩ Go to Top