The Legal Liaison
As an integral part of the Office of the Director-General of the United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG), the Legal Liaison Office provides advice on all legal matters arising within UNOG and United Nations funds and programmes in Geneva, in close cooperation with the Office of Legal Affairs at Headquarters.
The core functions of the Legal Liaison Office are as follows:
Providing advice to the Director-General of UNOG
Dealing with the Permanent Mission of Switzerland on host country matters
The Legal Liaison Office (LLO):
- assumes central responsibility in dealing with the Permanent Mission of Switzerland on all issues concerning the status of the United Nations and its staff in Geneva,
- in close consultation with the Office of Legal Affairs in New York, LLO deals with all requests emanating from the Swiss authorities for the waiver of immunity of the Organization and of UNOG staff members,
- represents the United Nations in court cases and external litigation,
In coordination with relevant services and divisions, the Senior Legal Adviser prepares and carries out written and oral requests concerning the interpretation and implementation of the host country agreement
, with emphasis on privileges and immunities, spouse employment, residence permits (carte de légitimation
) and tax questions.
Answering legal questions from the UNOG Administration, departments and services, and United Nations funds and programmes
Coordinating with the Legal Advisers of the Geneva-based United Nations family organizations
Participating in various panels and commissions
Cooperating with permanent missions
LLO deals with permanent missions on politically sensitive matters arising from participation of government and civil society representatives at United Nations meetings and conferences, in particular:
Liaison with the Office of Legal Affairs in New York
- The Commission on Human Rights
- Press conferences
- Public information sessions
- Governing boards and councils of specialized agencies meeting at the Palais des Nations.
LLO works in close cooperation with the Office of Legal Affairs (OLA) at Headquarters on legal matters requiring specialized advice and/or a position from the Legal Counsel of the United Nations or the Secretary-General’s approval. These include:
Organizing and conducting the International Law Seminar
Providing administrative support to the International Law Commission
- statutory questions,
- requests for waiver of immunity,
- treaty actions,
- OLA position of a precedent-setting nature, or on matters of system-wide interest.