As an integral part of the Office of the Director-General of the United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG), the Legal Liaison Office provides advice on all legal matters arising within UNOG and the offices of United Nations funds and programmes in Geneva, in close cooperation with the Office of Legal Affairs
The core functions of the Legal Liaison Office are as follows:
Providing advice to the Director-General of UNOG
Dealing with the Permanent Mission of Switzerland on host country matters
The Legal Liaison Office (LLO):
- assumes central responsibility in dealing with the Permanent Mission of Switzerland on all issues concerning the status of the United Nations and its staff in Geneva,
- in close consultation with the Office of Legal Affairs in New York, LLO deals with all requests emanating from the Swiss authorities for the waiver of immunity of the Organization and of UNOG staff members,
- represents the United Nations in court cases and external litigation.
The Senior Legal Adviser prepares and carries out written and oral requests concerning the interpretation and implementation of the Host Country Agreement
, with emphasis on privileges and immunities, residence permits (cartes de légitimation, visas
), tax questions and status determination issues.
Answering legal questions from UNOG's Division of Administration, various departments and services, and Geneva offices of United Nations funds and programmes
Coordinating with the Legal Advisers of the Geneva-based international organizations
On an ad hoc
basis, the Senior Legal Adviser coordinates with the Legal Advisers of Geneva-based international organizations on matters of common interest under the respective headquarters agreements.
Participating in various panels and commissions
Liaison with the Office of Legal Affairs in New York
LLO works in close cooperation with the Office of Legal Affairs
(OLA) at Headquarters on legal matters requiring specialized advice and/or a position from the Legal Counsel of the United Nations or the Secretary-General’s approval. These include, inter alia:
Organizing and conducting the International Law Seminar
Providing administrative support to the International Law Commission
- requests for waiver of immunity,
- treaty actions,
- OLA position on matters of system-wide interest.