A Strategic Heritage Plan for the Palais des Nations
"The Palais des Nations is an important element of the heritage of Geneva and of Switzerland, but also of all Member States of the United Nations, and we have the duty to preserve and modernize it."
Michael Møller, UNOG Acting Director-General
On 27 December 2013, UN Member States have decided to allocate the funds needed in 2014 for the planning phase of the strategic heritage plan of the United Nations Office at Geneva, with construction work starting in 2017 and completion expected in 2023. (See press release)
Job openings within the Strategic Heritage Plan for the Palais des Nations
Post published with a deadline of 14 March 2014
Posts published with a deadline of 19 March 2014
The latest technical and architectural studies have confirmed that early adoption and diligent implementation of the strategic heritage plan was vital to urgently address health and safety risks and to ensure the long-term viability of operations and business continuity at the Palais des Nations.
Key objectives of the plan:
Four construction phases
Cost and benefits
- meet all relevant regulations related to fire protection, health and life safety, and building code compliance;
- repair and update the building enclosure and the electrical, mechanical and plumbing systems to meet relevant health and safety regulations, and to reduce energy costs;
- meet all relevant regulations relating to persons with disabilities, including provisions for accessibility and technology;
- optimize the use of the available interior spaces and conference facilities, providing flexible and functional conference rooms;
- preserve the heritage, prevent irreversible deterioration or damage, and restore and maintain the capital value of the Palais des Nations and its content;
- resolve a growing problem of lack of space for staff members of the United Nations Secretariat and of liaison offices of UN funds, agencies and programmes;
- regroup as best feasible UN Secretariat activities in Geneva in the Ariana Park, where the Palais des Nations is situated.
Reports of the Secretary-General on the "strategic heritage plan"
UNOG annual reports
Palais des Nations photo gallery