If an official or technical expert wishes to be sponsored to represent his or her government at a CCW conference or meeting, then he or she must
- Submit a written request addressed to the 'Coordinator of the Steering Committee' via the CCW Implementation Support Unit. This can be sent by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to: +41 22 917 0054.
- The written request must be received by the CCW Implementation Support Unit in advance of the CCW meetings. The upcoming conferences on Protocol V, Amended Protocol II and the Meeting of the High Contracting Parties to the Convention will take place from 9 to 13 November 2015. The deadline for requesting sponsorship is Friday, 25 September 2015. Applications received after this date will not be considered. Some delegates will be asked to also make a contribution to the costs of their attendance at the conferences.
- All requests for sponsorship must be considered and approved by the Sponsorship Programme's Steering Committee and then the candidates will be informed of the outcomes.
Once an application has been approved for sponsorship then the following conditions apply:
- The request should indicate specifically for whom sponsorship is being requested, confirm that the person is an official from a government agency or ministry that has responsibility for conventional weapons (including knowledge and experience on conventional weapons and disarmament) and is able to make a presentation on his or her government’s status of ratification, implementation or reporting of the Convention and its annexed Protocols.
Delegates will travel on an economy class ticket arranged by or in coordination with the CCW Sponsorship Programme administrator. The sponsored delegate will accept accommodation at a hotel of the administrator’s choice.
- If a sponsored delegate is unable to travel to Geneva once a ticket has been issued, he or she must immediately inform the CCW Sponsorship Programme administrator and return the unused air tickets.
- In addition, it is the responsibility of sponsored delegates to act promptly to obtain all necessary visas for travel to Switzerland, especially since Switzerland has applied the Schengen regulations concerning the issuance of visas.
- Further information relating to the procedures and measures concerning the issuance of visas for Switzerland is available by contacting the Swiss embassy or consulate in the applicant's country of residence or by referring to the following link of the Federal Office of Migrations:
- Further information is available on the Permanent Mission of Switzerland's website:
The candidate is required to make a national statement on their area of expertise, i.e. his or her country’s status of ratification, implementation or reporting.