Recognizing the fundamental importance of enhancing international cooperation, assistance and exchange in biological sciences and technology for peaceful purposes, The Seventh Review Conference decided that the topic of cooperation and assistance, with a particular focus on strengthening cooperation and assistance under Article X, will be one of three Standing Agenda Items to be addressed annually at both the Meeting of Experts and Meeting of States Parties during the 2012–2015 intersessional programme. Topics of discussion under this agenda item include:
- A range of specific measures for the full and comprehensive implementation of Article X taking into account all of its provisions
- Challenges and obstacles to developing international cooperation, assistance and exchange in the biological sciences and technology
- Ways and means to target and mobilize resources to address gaps and needs for assistance and cooperation
- Means to develop human resources in the biological sciences through education, training, exchange and twinning programmes, particularly in developing countries
- Capacity-building through international cooperation in biosafety and biosecurity, and for detecting, reporting, and responding to outbreaks of infectious disease or biological weapons attacks, including in the areas of preparedness, response, and crisis management and mitigation
- Coordination of cooperation with other relevant international and regional organizations and other relevant stakeholders
Following the 2013 Meeting of Experts, the Chair prepared a synthesis document
to assist with the identification of common understandings during the 2013 Meeting of States Parties.
The synthesis document was based upon the contributions made during the Meeting of Experts and reflected in the Report
of that meeting.
For further information, please see the Meetings and Documents