Throughout the year the Information Service organises information programmes which serve the purpose of creating a better understanding of the many activities of the United Nations and its specialized agencies based in Geneva.
The programmes are prepared for groups of at least twenty people coming from all parts of the world and composed of university students, diplomats, public servants and representatives of non-governmental organizations or other associations. The programme may have a duration of one day or may be spread over a week.
This service is free of charge (but kindly note that there is a charge for guided tours included in the programme). Please also note that the United Nations makes no financial contribution either to the travel costs or accommodation expenses of the participants.
Main themes of lectures
The themes of the programmes take into account the specific interests of each group and its requests. A programme is composed of conferences (maximum four per day) given by UN officials and experts. Themes range from :
- human rights
- humanitarian affairs
- The United Nations Office at Geneva
- peackeeping operations.
or on activities of bodies or specialized agencies such as:
- The United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE)
- The United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD)
- The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
- The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
- The World Health Organization (WHO)
- The International Labour Organization (ILO)
- The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
- The World Meteorological Organization (WMO)
- The International Telecommunication Union (ITU)
These lectures are followed by direct exchanges of views and are given in English or French. Lectures in another United Nations’ official language is possible but not guaranteed.
All requests must be made in writing, with a minimum of four-month advance notice to:
United Nations Office at Geneva
8-14 Avenue de la Paix
Palais des Nations
CH-1211 Genève 10
fax:+41 (0)22 917 0073
Requests should provide the following information:
- The names of the organization and of the accompanying person responsible for the group
- The number of participants (minimum twenty persons)
- The dates proposed (since the calendar for the programmes is particularly heavy, please bear in mind that several possible dates may be suggested ).
- The particular fields of interest of the participants and the subjects that participants would like to acquaint themselves with.